Monday, October 22, 2007

the plan...

Yesterday lepas visiting Aunty Normah in the morning, Mama and I headed for The Curve. Hajatnya nak check out mattresses... ended up buying towels, sheets at Aussino instead. I wasn't planning to buy any quilt covers, already have a cupboard full of them, but couldn't resist... they're so pretty :) Plus they're on 50% discount, hehe...

This is how my room looks like now (check out the new quilt cover!) but hopefully in about 1-2 months time I'll be moving to another room... a larger room "to letak all my things" as Mama said. I actually still like my room... with the pink feature wall which Papa & Abg did while I was away in the US visiting Ina several years back. It's at the back of the house, so kurang bising. Not too big... just enough. I've had this room since we moved into this house. But since moving back into the house and after several years of collecting items from my travel jaunts, I'm running out of space. Sayang to leave all those items terperuk dalam cupboard. They're works of art which deserve to be displayed and admired.

Hence the agreement to move to the *other* room as Mama had suggested. I didn't like the idea in the beginning because that room faces the jalan besar... bising!! It is definitely bigger, as big as a studio unit. Tapi I wasn't really looking to upgrade. Tapi Mama kata it's such a waste to leave that big room unoccupied and added that Amt doesn't have his own room. When I suggested why not Amt je yg move into that room, her response was "Your room sekarang is so penuh... pindah lah bilik depan... more space. You can make it very nice".

So as a compromise, I'm going to change the windows to something more sound proof. It won't be totally sound proof coz those are quite expensive, but something better lar. I'm also going to remove a wall and redo the bathroom. Get rid of the bathtub , put in glass shower screen, change the tiles (sekarang punya is very obviously from the 80s) and create a dressing area. Would love to have a walk-in closet, tapi that would require substantial structural work. The best thing is that the bathroom will be in my room! So I can (theoretically) frolick naked from the shower to my wardrobe, hehe...

Renovation work will start in a few weeks' time. Right now there's a lot of ideas floating in my head. While visiting AAA's new house last weekend, I got some additional ideas for the bathroom and lighting. I definitely need to create more wardrobe space (have already decided to get those slider wardrobes with glass screen), buy a comfy 2-seater sofa, get a nice rug and pick the tiles for the bathroom. Some items I'm going to get from IKEA like the console for my dressing area, the *isi* for the wardrobe, a bookcase, a square sink (surprisingly cheaper than kat kedai toilet biasa). The windows, slider glass wardrobe screen and glass shower screen I'm going to source from a supplier in USJ... his price very good. For katil, I'm going to inherit Mama's old bed (her new bed is large enough to fit 3 adults comfortably!!) alongside the side tables. Am contemplating getting a new mattress... the one I'm currently using (which is still ok) is almost 10 years old. Found a shop in Hartamas which supplies tilam macam those Heavenly Bed in Westin... ooohhh, such luxury. Tapinya harga dia pun *in the heavens* range lah. So still have not decided on that...

Based on initial calculations, the all-in cost is going to be something in the range of what it would cost me to have 2-3 *far away* holidays... depending on the destination. It's close to what I had spent for our *tiga beradik* 2.5-weeks trip in the US west coast. So quite in a quandary juga lah... a hard choice because I love to jalan-jalan. And I'm already thinking about trips in 2008.

Alhamdulillah, my organisation recently announced a salary revision... and it will be backdated to July. So adalah budget untuk jalan2 next year :)

1 comment:

Raz Zeera Gee said...

uji...mana ada menceceh :) eh...i remember going to your house once...masa zaman2 muda remaja dulu...is this the same house? and u talking about nak mencantikkan bilik sumer tu...i plak yang excited...i suka benda2 interior ni :)