Saturday, October 20, 2007

paying the price...

I'm suffering!!!
Too much of the good stuff ain't good for you... Really can't control myself when it comes to yummy, delicious Raya fare.

Woke up quite early this morning to Papa's voice "Bangun, bangun, orang nak datang"... we're receiving several guests today. It's going to be a loooong day, the thought crossed my mind as I *peeled* myself from bed. Washed my face, brushed my teeth and went down. No need to take a shower yet because there's plenty to be done and I'll be all sweaty. Oh silap, ladies don't sweat, we perspire, hehe...

Mama was already chopping away in the kitchen. She was in a jovial mood... Good! The thing I hate most during these pre-*guest arrival* stage is when she's stressed, tired and not happy. Working under duress ain't fun I tell you.

"Tolong vacumm the dining area" Mama said. Alaa... I'd rather cut, wash, chop than vacumming but I was not about to try my luck so early in the day ;) So off I went in search for the vacumm cleaner. Meanwhile, Papa was busy playing with his new *toy*... we got him a new phone. Well, new to him lah. It's actually a second hand Motorola but he doesn't know that, hehe. He's just like a kid... all absorbed, trying to figure out which buttons to press.

"Papa... boleh tolong belikan roti canai tak?" I asked. Have been craving for a nice hot fluffy yet crispy roti canai for over a month. "Roti canai ke roti telur" he asked. "Roti canai..."

Vacummed the dining area, the living area and just about done with the tv area when Papa came through the door. Yippee!! Meal #1: Roti canai yang tak berapa best. I guess the gerai with the yummy roti is still not open yet. Just as I put the last piece in my mouth, the doorbell rang. Oops... time to take that shower.

Aunty Nah, my dad's younger sister, came with Uncle Moh, Herni, Erol and his wife. I've not seen any of them in ages. Mama was putting the final touches to her mee hailam, I set the table, Ina made drinks. We're a *well-oiled* team :) I was still full from breakfast so didn't join them makan. Just minum je... but later gave in to temptation and picked on the veges --> Meal #2.

"K Ana and family on her way" Mama said as I was clearing the table. Another round of masak2 on the way. This time it's nasi goreng, ikan kembung goreng tepung and pecal. K Ana and her entourage arrived around 2pm... they decided to drop by on their way home from Kuala Terengganu, where her parents live. Ayah Uda, her dad, is my mom's brother. Having lived in Terengganu for so long, he now speaks with pelat Terengganu instead of his native Perak. Over stories of their Redang holiday during Raya, I succumbed to temptation (again!) and had some of Mama's nasi goreng. That was meal #3.

Went to AAA's this evening (very nice place I should add)... his Raya cum house warming. He's so lucky to have a wonderful wife who also happens to be a great cook. Which is a BIG plus for his friends, hehe... Liza never fails to amaze me with her culinary skills... I always look forward to visiting their house for Raya. This year she outdid herself again. Visually the spread looks just like any other dishes that you see at Raya open house, but once you put those morsels into your mouth... hmmmmmmmmm!!!

I was so busy eating I forgot to take pix ;) It's a wonder how this busy corporate lady finds the time to polish her skills. I think the Malay saying "air tangan" is true lah... and I have a tasteless air tangan.

Went with NDH... was supposed to pick her up at Mandy Villa, then about an hour before we were supposed to meet, she sms-ed and suggested to pick me up instead because the road leading to her house was rather congested (oh dear... the dreaded traffic jams are back). We live approximately 10 minutes from each other.

We arrived at the same time dengan NSY and her family. JL and HH were already inside. HH came with Azimah... my friend from school. So sempat jejak kasih sekejap, hehe...

First thing I did was to check out the house. I love it... Simple yet luxurious, spacious and airy, statement of modernity within the architectural structure of a 70s building. Very nice!

After the tour it was time to dig in... there's laksa siam, rendang, roti jala, nasi impit, kuah kacang, fritters... and of course an array of baked goodies - chocolate cake, apple pie, carrot cake, layered jelly, a variety of cookies. I'm in heaven 8-) Everything tasted sooo good. Despite having eaten 3 times already, I let myself go and tried them all. No guilt when you know that you're putting good stuff into your mouth. So that was meal #4,5,6,7,8,9,10!!

Soon the others began to arrive... SHH, TT and their daughter; PSS, LCC, Zach were next; followed by MM and family; *Shakira*, *J Lo* (they're both guys by the way, hehe) and another girl (whose name escapes me at the moment) from AAA's office; NAMN and hubby; MRA and family. ARG, CT and ARG jr arrived as I was about to leave... about 1hr 40mins later.

Took a ride in PSS's new purple Mazda 3. A very nice car... smooth ride - you can't feel the gears shifting and the suspension absorbed all the bumps on the road, great sound system - no need to add amps... a car I can seriously consider :)

Arrived home around 6.30pm... all the food had made me very sleepy. So decided to crash while waiting for maghrib over suara lunak Adibah Noor. Got up around 7.45pm... prayed and slept again, hehe... until 11pm. Went down, eyes half shut... wandered into the kitchen seeking a glass of water.
"Eh... bila balik?" Mama asked when she saw me.
"Dah lama dah..." my voice half croaking.
"Ingat kan you were still out... Papa pun tanya how come Along belum balik, tak nak tengok F1 ke" she continued.

F1... this weekend it's the final showdown. The championship will be decided.


Will it be Hamilton the rookie, Alonso the current 2-times world champion or Kimi the Iceman who is twice the bridesmaid but never the bride.

This year's championship has been filled with records, scandals, in fighting, drama, heartbreak... everything! Even the moguls in Hollywood couldn't have written a better script. The departure of Schumacher the maestro from the scene was not felt at all... Schumacher who? hehe...


I think this would make a great movie poster :)


The odds are favouring Hamilton to make history as the first rookie ever to win the world championship in his first year. If he wins, he will also *steal* the title as the *youngest world champion* from Alonso. And at the beginning of the year, the whole F1 fraternity was just talking about him being the first African-Carribean F1 driver. That fact is no longer significant given all that he has achieved this year.

My heart wants Kimi to win, although he no longer drives for McLaren. Used to want Alonso to get crowned for the third time in a row, but his behaviour of late has been off-putting. But between Alonso and Hamilton, I'd rather have Alonso as champion... dunno why.

Whatever the outcome, there will be tears shed tomorrow... tears of joy, tears of frustration. The question is whose tears would that be...

No comments: