Friday, October 19, 2007

feedback, makan and more makan...

Today kat office tak banyak bekerja... finalise the deliverables plan for 2008/09, handled some issues relating to the training programme that we're working on, discussed with NN about the event we're having in Nov, doing our annual assessment - individual sessions with my team members to discuss how they've fared this year, what they need to work on, giving and getting feedback... Selesai jumpa all 6 of them, cuma sorang je lagi yang belum coz dia cuti today.

It turned out well I must say :) The coaching training, feedback etc were really useful. And my fears about being *less humane* were squashed... although one did say that he does feel at times intimidated. Although I still belum sampai level gurubesar MZ lah, hehe... A positive session overall... both sides expressed views and each individual session pun ada gelak tawa.
All of us agreed to have more *get together sharing sessions*... most likely over lunch, once a week or fortnight. I clarified that no matter how busy I may seem, that they're welcomed to come and seek views/touch base anytime... the hint kalau tak mahu diganggu would be a closed door or I'll tell them to come back later. Memanglah... body language ni susah di control. Kan orang dah comment that I have a *transparent* face.

I think I'm getting better at this... jumped the *hurdle of tak tahu macam mana nak handle* giving negative feedback to a more senior subordinate. Told her exactly how I felt and she received it well. Very happy with that :) I should also commend her for being very open and liberal about our present working relationship. Ye lah... she was already a manager when I masuk kerja dulu and now she reports to me. I still don't feel like I'm the boss... more like a leader of a team. Trying her best to shepard the herd forward... walaupun kerap kali tak tahu exactly hala tuju. Kan bagus kalau ada GPRS for work...

If you command wisely, you'll be obeyed cheerfully.
Thomas Fuller

Since before Raya some of us kat office dah plan nak pergi Haagen Dazs buffet... and today was the day. Sharp at 12.30pm AZA, CWT, NDH, SM, NN, AM, Faeez (apa initials dia eh?), Shake and I menuju ke BV2 dlm Myvi dan City. Bila dah nak sampai baru perasan "Eh... mcm mana you all nak makan? Dah time nak pergi sembahyang Jumaat". "Itu lah" said Faeez "I was just thinking about that"

To cut the story short, after all the planning, we all tak jadi makan the ice-cream buffet pun sbb the choices were limited. We ended up in Marmalade instead... and had a FEAST!! We had macam2... like Raya open house pulak, hehe. Started with the sinfully delicious oreo cheesecake... shared a big bowl of Havana salad... did a musical chair with our food, tasting semua orang punya main meal which consisted of lasagna, quiche, salmon pasta, lamb kofte, teriyaki sandwich. A great meal indeed!! The two *boys* joined us after sembahyang Jumaat (They're boys to me coz they're about 10 years younger... in fact CWT is exactly 10 years younger. We share the same birthdate. Aiyoo, I feel ancient).

Somehow over lunch, the topic was how CWT's IC photo looks like a DVD seller... mcm the one dlm Astro tu. This was something I had to see... nasib baik lah CWT is very sporting, he gamely took out his wallet and showed us. Memanglah sebijik... hehe. He then tunjuk his ISIC card pulak... also very amusing, he looked like Elmo. Tapi CWT cool je... he's a delightfully fun guy :) The office is livelier with his loud and frequent laughs...

Petang Amt called, "Along, puasa ke today?"
"Tak, why?"
"Nak makan apa for dinner? Amt nak balik dah tonight. Tak nak belanja ke?" I could hear mirth in his voice.
"Can... where do you want to go?"
"Tempat biasa lah..."
"Alaa... boring lar, go somewhere else lah. Think about it and call me back"
"Kita pergi Little Penang" kata Amt bila dia call balik. Ni mesti Papa punya suggestion since he has been craving for a bowl of curry mee since middle of Ramadan lagi. Lepas contemplating whether to go to KLCC or MV, we decided on the latter. "Meet you there lepas maghrib"


I sampai awal... they all baru nak keluar rumah when I called to check their whereabouts. So pergilah jalan2 kat Gardens tu dulu. Went to Isetan and terjebak... got 2 rings. Why 2? Coz buy one get the next 1/2 price, hehe. But they're both nice... kalau takde sale pun I would have bought both.

Lepas dah habis makan char kuey teow, curry mee, prawn mee and lam mee plus cendol, Mama kata dia nak beli selipar. So we all went to Bata. Abg also found a pair of sandals he liked and bought that for him (actually Ina's paying.. her bday gift to him). Since I was parked kat bawah Gardens, I ajak Mama pergi jalan2 kat situ since dia tak pernah pergi. We headed for Robinsons. Pergi tengok handbags... with the intention of getting Ina a new bag for her birthday next month, and ended the *cuci mata* kat Homes sections, Mama's favourite. I like the way they designed the shop... the decor theme is black and white. Very smart and classy... cantek!!

Masa drive balik, I put on the compilation cd yg dibuat semalam. Dayang Nurfaizah was singing when Mama kata "Sedap jugak si Dayang ni nyanyi". Waa... Mama boleh kenal suara dia, I'm impressed! All this while she *tak pandang* pun Dayang. Even Adibah Noor pun *tak lepas* her scrutineering. To her the *best* is the penyanyi yang namanya bermula dengan Ma dan berakhir dengan Wi.

Yes Ma, there's more to the Malaysian music scene :)

No comments: