Tuesday, November 27, 2007

two girls having a chat...

I needed to pack. I needed to figure out how to put in all the things that I’ve bought into the two suitcases that I had with me. It had to be done tonight… or otherwise I would be in big trouble tomorrow.

So that was the mission… after dinner and watching this cool creative cake show on the Food Channel, I retreated to my room to start the mission. It was a bit overwhelming in the beginning. But slowly but surely, everything WILL find it’s way into the bag.

I turned on anak lelaki Pak Zain while I packed. Lama dah tak dengar…

I was half way through the first bag when Linda came in… “Waa, you’re going well” she said with a smile. And we started chatting…

Earlier in the day, while cooking lunch, we shared about what was going on with our lives, the issues that we face, the dilemmas, the confusions… I having her around back home to talk about those things.

So… at this late hour, our conversation drifted back to the same topics. Despite living different lives… thousands of miles away, the issues that we face aren’t that different. Well, ok… her issues as a homemaker with two young kids in a place far away from family and friends aren’t exactly the kind of things that I have to face on a daily basis as a single, working woman. But nonetheless, the themes are more or less the same. We both have dreams… hopes… and dilemmas. Who doesn’t right?

I told Linda about the matters that have been on my mind these past few months… it was good to have a fresh perspective. Her advice reaffirmed what I had decided upon… that the time isn’t right, that the circumstances aren’t the best. Masa dan takdir akan menentukan…

While I rolled the clothes, sumbat *little things* into every nook and cranny, pushed down the barang2 into the bag, the conversation flowed. Gosh… I’ve forgotten how easy it was to talk to her… and fun too. Of course, it wouldn’t be a proper girly conversation without some gushing about men would it ;) Well… the conversation did revolve mainly around that anyway. And family… and career too. I was extremely glad to hear that she does plan to return to work sometime in the future because she is a talented lady and an asset to the organization.

In the months leading to her taking time off from work, we hadn’t spend much time to really talk to each other. I was adjusting to a new position, she had a new baby… I admit, it was largely my fault, for not making the time. But fortunately, it had not resulted in a wedge between us. Something that I’m extremely grateful for…

After several hours it was time for Linda to get some deserving rest… it was past 3am. I finished up, locked the bags and snuggled into the bed as the early birds were leaving their nests…

1 comment: