Monday, September 24, 2007

musical anyone?


I'm very curious to see John Travolta in a dress :-) Apa2 pun the movie looks fun!

Am not a big musical fan (unlike some of the detox chicks... depa pi tgk everything that comes to town) but since watching my first ever musical, Guys and Dolls in the West End last November, I suka pulak. The other day pergi tengok My Fair Lady... not bad. I could sing along most of the songs... tak sangka! Must have watched it so many times masa kecik2 dulu... Tapi Professor Higgins in the play tua and tak handsome, so kureng sikit part dia get together dgn Eliza.

But my preference remains with musical ensemble - a full orchestra or just strings, woodwind, brass, percussions... semua pun best. To me yg paling best is if ada brass... biasness perhaps because I played the baritone in the band dulu. Tak ramai orang tahu what a baritone is... selalunya they know trumpets, trombone... a few kenal horn. Selalunya brass instruments tak se-famous strings (eg violin, viola, harpsicord) and woodwind (clarinet, saxaphone - saxs pun ada byk tau... alto, tenor, bass etc).

My dad used to kata the sound mcm bunyi gajah. Selalunya baritone ni main the background sounds... rarely do we play the melody. So sampai sekarang if I listen to the orchestra, I tend to pick out the baritones, trombones, tenor sax, cello etc instead of focussing on the main melody. To me it's the "background" guys that makes the whole thing sounds rich. Of course lah tak glamour, usually kalau on stage pun duduk kat blkg2... on the field kalau marching band pun, we used to be 1 or 2 lines depan the drums (itu pun kalau the drums kat blkg)

Main brass instruments kena ada big breaths... kena byk *angin*. And once you master one, you can play the other valve instruments. Since everytime tiup kena beriya2... byk juga air liur yg terhembus sekali, hehe. There's a lever yg kita boleh buang saliva... kalau tak buang, nanti bunyi *berkocak-kocak*... for lack of a better way to explain, haha... And if you play lama and kena byk main the high notes, your lips will be kebas. Rasa mcm pouty je... a la Angelina Jolie.

I really enjoyed my band days... walaupun masa tu hitam legam *mcm bontot kuali* (as my mom selalu kata). Mana taknya... bila ada performance or competition, hari2 kena practice on the field from 4-6pm. Kena pulak our uniform dulu warna kuning + hijau... aiyoo!!

Who were the band girls from my batch? Let's see if I can remember them all... Marni (clarinet), Aida (clarinet), Fazlin (alto sax), Diba (tenor drum), Iday (trombone), Doreen (horn), Lin (trombone), Kamm (trombone), FaraLuni (piccolo), Geema (cymbals), Jay (alto sax), Farha (horn), Rubie (trumpet & drum major), Ati (side drums), Cha (clarinet)... that's all this band president can ingat.

Despite the musical upbringing, none of us ended up in that line. We turned out to be doctors, accountants, bankers, engineers... kerja normal2 je. Hmm.. to think of it, none of the choir girls jadi recording artists pun, hehe... Tapi unlike us band girls yg kalau disuruh main skrg sure dah tak boleh, those choir girls can still sing. Hmm... maybe I'll use my executive powers as head girl to get them to sing at my wedding ;-) So Mymot, DZ, Imah, Noorul, Juan, Jhot... consider yourselves warned! hehe

No comments: