Thursday, December 6, 2007

on to the next chapter...

Read an article today... about career defining moments.

The analysis is based on a global survey conducted by McKinsey & Co. I've always liked to refer to their articles... insightful and easy to read. Was looking for some ideas for a speech and terjumpa the article.

Some of the findings...

  • For many, the single most pivotal event in their career happened circa 30-years old, after about 8 years of working.
  • Often these revelations relate to people discovering what they're passionate about or realising that they no longer have interest in their current job. Also quoted was when the organisation provided them the opportunity to *grow*.
  • For women particularly, realising that they're not leading the kind of life that they want also has significant impact on their careers.
  • Surprisingly, most responded to say that work-life balance has neutral impact on their careers. Although women respondents said that they have more difficulty to balance work & life.
  • Things like "significant organisational change", "motivated by a role model/leader", "meeting a person who became a mentor", "posted to another geographical location" and "going back to school" were also some of the experiences that shaped their careers.
  • A large majority said that the organisation was supportive during their pivotal career event. And the most important factor is having good relationship with colleagues & management. A supportive working environment that aids career development came second, followed by intrinsic interest in job/role.
  • Having a supportive spouse/partner, friends outside work and friends at work (in order of importance) also have positive effects.
  • As for the pivotal event that took place, they were (in order) 1) took a position in a new company in a new industry, 2) decide to more actively manage career, 3) took new position in existing company, 4) revised career ambitions/objectives upwards, 5) decided to go back to school for postgrad studies.
  • More importantly, these events led people to have greater intellectual interest in their job, overall job satisfaction and of course the obvious like career advancement, better pay, etc. Again, surprise.. surprise.. impact on work-life balance were 36% positive, 39% neutral, 24% negative.
No wonder lah I've been having all these bruhaha and thoughts swimming in my head these past few years ;) A big sigh of relief... I wasn't having a mid-life crisis after all! hehe...

I went/am going through many of the things mentioned above...

One of the main reasons why I had decided to pursue Masters last year was because I was finding work to be less challenging and not as inspiring as it used to be. I've been having this conversation with ARG (someone that I regularly consult, my mentor of sorts) since 2003 I think. Tapi in his wisdom, had adviced to stay on dulu... try to get promoted first (this was masa I was still an SE) and lepas tu baru lah pergi.

And when the time came to go (literally dah siap beli and pack barang dah ni...), I was offered a new role in a different area. Actually, the day I got the news, I already had 2 boxes in my car yang nak ditumpang hantar to London through a friend pada hari yang sama. Had to tell some white lies to a few people that day since it wasn't something that I could disclose at that point in time. In many of our past conversations, I had informed ARG that I don't think I was ready to take on a higher position. I wanted to *grow up* first... Tapi like the saying "things happen when you least expect it".

Now, 1 year later (we just celebrated FSD's birthday on 27 Nov), I've somewhat settled down. Still adjusting, especially on the new subject matter (which I'm know for sure that Assistant Big Boss will say I'm still significantly lacking depth). Am slowly growing into the role... masih banyak traits & skills that I need to develop. Appearing and being confident are two different things. Influencing and motivating people... that's something I need to build a lot more. The LDP and coaching sessions have been helpful. It's tough... yet fun! In a sadistic kinda way, haha. I guess I enjoy the challenge walaupun sometimes it really drains me. But as mentioned by many, this role is actually the best place to be. Every director and above that I've spoken to says that. So I should be enjoying myself, hehe...

Also typical nature of an aquarian... we can't sit still for too long. Agaknya sebab tu kut I have such strong interest for travelling... my annual jaunts to some place new, away from the routine. To re-energise.

Having great support around me... that is something I truly cherish. I've been fortunate to have my *gang*, who are all great people. They've nurtured me from Day 1 in this organisation and continue to be good friends and sources of knowledge, ideas, inspiration. From all perspective... work related, personal development... everyone has their own strengths. They come from various levels... dari secretary sampai lah the top. I've been extremely fortunate to have had great colleagues and wonderful bosses... TRULY! I hope and pray that we continue to have this strong bond... so kena lah selalu keluar lunch with them, celebrate birthdays etc... time to have that BBQ weekend getaway ;) Cuma sadly, the bond may not be as strong throughout the *gang*... ada yang dah drifted away, whether deliberately or by accident.

The organisation has also changed a lot in these past few years... more proactive in managing talent. Putting in place various initiatives... although not quite there, but on the way. Kudos to the BB. They're creating opportunity for bright, young ones... so that this whole process about *waiting for your turn* can be eliminated because face it, these exciting new generation are looking for challenge and aren't shy about moving. To an extent, I've been a lucky recipient to such practice. Just happen to be around the right people at the right time. But I think it's more largely attributed to having the right kind of opportunity and exposure... again, it all relates to having wonderful bosses, who puts in an interest towards my development.

I know that there are a lot of people who are unhappy... grouses... kata2... I've always been associated with being in the *clique*, being *orang XXX*... such comments were even made to my relatives and friends who have other friends in this organisation. It was a difficult thing to reconcile with... because I hate such practices, where people do favours, favouritism. But my conscience is clear... I've never done anything to *propel* myself... I just did what I was asked to do to the best of my ability, as a contributing member of the organisation. Mula2 susah hati lah jugak... thinking about all that, tapi heck... people can say all they want, and never be satisfied. Semuanya nawaitu...

With all that going on here in this organisation, thinking about moving to another organisation is not something that I think of. Honestly... the thought of moving out has never crossed my mind. Although I do wish that I can do something that is closer to my heart... something that makes a difference to society as a whole. I can still do it here... but maybe not to the extent that macam if I'm totally involved in it. The meeting that I had attended in the US recently opened my eyes to the possibility... there's a lot of opportunity to be involved in these kind of work and the level that I wish to be involved in. Something to keep an eye on...

Tapi overall, I'm enjoying the challenge that came this new role... the learning especially. So refreshing to be doing something totally new walaupun I'm still so crap at it. Nasib baik lah ada ppl like NH who is always brimming with ideas and willing to share. I don't give him enough credit. I've changed my views of him since I got to know him better... sure, to some he's still arrogant and brash... tapi dia actually quite nice. A surprising discovery. Had I not taken this portfolio, I might not have known...

In the lift semalam, KZJ asked me "So bila you nak sambung belajar?" I hardly talk to this person and suddenly dia tanya... must be that *what to say in the lift* thing, hehe. I told him maybe in 2 years time... I think by then I'll be *itching* again :) In fact DBB#3 dah a few times asked me about it. Asking me bila and apa nak buat. I've not thought about the *apa* yet... but it will be most likely be around my area of interest. He strongly suggest doing a management programme... and something from the JFK government school would be something that I can automatically relate to. Actually, I'm not sure if formal education is the way I want to pursue it... perhaps an opportunity to work for an organisation in such area would be a better idea. Itu semua untuk difikir diwaktu lapang...

But if you ask me what I really want right now... the answer is to settle down. I'm already quite happy where I am career wise. It's the other part of life which I'm lacking. My friends, I don't mean to say that you're not important to me... au contraire. I thoroughly enjoy being and spending time with you... but it's a natural human desire to share your life with someone. Some of you have been kind enough to lend an ear, provide your insights these past few months. It has been a roller coaster of a ride... which unfortunately has entered into a dark tunnel. I'm not sure where life will take me next... we'll see.

But as they say, "things happen when you least expect it".

No comments: