Monday, December 24, 2007

dreaming of exotic sights, taste and smell...

AAA has *poisoned* me...

After that instant message querying whether I'd be interested to join him and wifey on a trip to Morocco, dreams of adventure in the land of kasbah, souks, dunes, and world heritage *pasar malam* have been occupying my mind. That, and plans for renovations, furniture, haberdashery, lightings...

On this slower than normal day at work (there are only 10 of us in the office today... from the normal size of 29) whereby most people around the world are either getting ready for yuletide or finishing off their annual leave, I find myself wondering to travel forums, travel blogs... all relating to la Maroc. [Those of you who work with me at the organisation, kindly keep this to yourself as such behaviour is so unbecoming of a DD, heheheh...]

I've checked airlines. So far, found out that Emirates and Etihad have flights to Casablanca via Dubai & Abu Dhabi respectively [hmm... flying thru Abu Dhabi ain't such a bad idea, since Alia is there, maybe I can do a pit stop ;) ]. During my previous flight research, discovered that there are several budget airlines flying into Fez and Marrakech from London, Amsterdam. But lately, I'm becoming more *concerned* about flying budget... unless if it's the likes of Easyjet, Ryanair, AirAsia. Reason: too many *accidents* involving those budget airlines of late. Takut jugak.

As usual, whenever I plan for these trips, I want to squeeze in as many sights as possible. Ye lah... who knows when the next chance to visit that country would be. Armed with various tour itineraries and reports on Fodors.com, I've identified several places that I'd like to *attempt* (key operative word here, hehe...) - Marrakech, Fez, edge of Sahara desert, Atlas mountain (tak kisah lah high ke, middle ke... asalkan can see mountains), Essaouira. Casablanca and Rabat are only *bonus* if boleh sumbat.

Other wishlists:
To stay at a riad in the old medinas of Marrakech and Fez. The idea alone is so romantic and so Indiana Jones...
To sleep in a tent in a desert, only to be awoken early in the morning for a camel ride to watch the sun rise from behind the sand dunes.
To be able to purchase and bring home (the latter is the bigger challenge I think) some handicrafts - those inlay tables, brass lamps, ceramics... ooooh, the options are endless!!

I'm already looking at the 2008 calendar... potential for long breaks around CNY and Labour Day. But alas... neither would work out. The former is too close to the production of the annual report and the latter too late to catch the melting snow - the whole reason why AAA wanted to go for that water rafting expedition in the first place.

Also another dilemma... I've promised Ina to go to Egypt next year. She wants to go *when it's not panas*. Which leaves me with Jan-April window... which will coincide with the Morocco trip. I don't know whether boss will let me go away for 2 two-weeks break in the span of 4 months. Maybe I shall try my luck with the CNY break for Egypt.

Ooohhh... the prospects are so enticing :) Kakijalan akan melangkah ke benua Afrika akhirnya!!

No comments: