Thursday, June 12, 2008

i miss my peeps...

The days have been long... lots of new things to learn and I'm so lembab!! I pity KKY for having to explain to me things which should make sense naturally so many time, and I still have that confused look. Doesn't help that I have a boss who is super smart, super efficient, super insightful and kind-hearted with the gentlest approach to boot. What takes me hours to comprehend, she can just grab and understand the ins and outs in 5 minutes. I told AA about it to which she gave me a knowing smile.

"With JC everyone feels like that. First you are in awe, followed by a sense of annoyance (because she's that good) and finally acceptance (that no matter how hard you try, there's no way you can be anything close to what she's capable of)"

She has always impressed me and the entire organisation (I believe) feels the same way. Like NMS said "dah lah smart, very nice pulak tu". I'm in stage 2 right now... am downright annoyed at myself that I feel so dumb and like I'm the laziest person in the world (I think am actually, haha). Sometimes being around super achievers like this is also not good... because you've come to realise that you'll never be like that person. Truth be told, I don't want to be like her... I'd just like to be 75% of her pun dah kira ok sangat dah tu.

Since moving to the new dept, I do feel like I've not been carrying my weight. What with the stuff to read (and I really mean LOTS of stuff to read, I kid you not!), the new things to learn, the never ending meetings... I really don't know how the bosses do it. I take a while to get used to a new rhythm, new ways... that's just me. I still haven't found my groove yet and it's already 3 weeks. I hope that I'll get it soon, otherwise...

The people in the new dept are nice and they are among the brainiest in the organisation... and the most hardworking too! Not that the people in the old dept are not smart or not hardworking... they're just different. This lot seem to be very serious in their work all the time whilst in the old dept, no matter how busy we were, laughters and voices were often heard... a mechanism to release stress, I guess. People in FSD seem to enjoy themselves more... they know how to have fun. Oh boy do they!

Today for example, I had the privilege of attending their makan competition. You see, in the old dept we've formed groups and have lunchtime games of carom, dart, pictionary. This year, the committee decided that instead of having a quarterly makan organised by the FSD Club, they turned it into an inter-group competition. And today, it was Cafe Jitu's (by Grp 2, G2... geddit?) turn.

From the invitation email right to the group challenges they organised today, it was well conceived and executed. Their invitation was written a la food critique comment complete with elements of surprise and suspense... such as be there by 12:45 or risk being left behind (or something like that lah) My suspicion is that it was written by FMA who declared that he likes to write during his job interview. They had DZ who has a creative side, AH and NDH who are brimming with enthusiasm, the calm and collected JMS as team leader... I can't remember all of the team members, but they make a good team.

The Penthouse was nicely decorated and the bright noon sunlight was filtered by dark curtain to create a cozy and relaxing environment. DZ even brought his candalabra, floor lights and orange IKEA curtains to get the mood going! Soft soothing music greeted the ears. The makan spread was excellent too... spaghetti meatballs, nasi ayam, satay, apple pie, fruit jelly cocktail, fruit salad, mushroom soup, garlic bread... all done with a budget of RM250. Not bad huh? Though I think there were some who *sponsored* as well ;)

Lepas the makan, they organised three competitions. The first was the teh tarik challenge. It was hilarious!! Three guys from the remaining three teams had to bancuh and tarik the pull tea. Each had their own style... mula2 all takut2 (walaupun they were equipped with apron... with ZMR wearing the frilly yellow one, hehe), then one by one start tunjuk *taring*... siap pusing, cangkung, side ways... even the usually reserved SS showed his *wild* side ;) When it came to judging, I was given the honour to do the *tasting* test and name the winner... because I was *supposedly* unbiased, haha. Well... I did my *duties* as was expected of me and while I had wanted my former team to win, the deserving team got the honours.

Next was table setting competition where each of the remaining 3 teams had to exhibit their prowess in all matters decor. Well... kind of laa. Team 1 chose a kiddies theme... a table for kids, complete with baby bibs, soft toys, cute plastic plates and cups. Team 3 did a muhibbah theme... siap dengan jasmine and bakul sireh... chopsticks complemented by daun pisang. Not wanting to be outdone... Team 4 (my former team) went *back to nature* with a sitting on the floor style dengan mangkuk kayu and tempurung kelapa and some daun2 as decor. Creative indeed!! AZA was spokesperson for Team 1... a natural choice since she's in the Children Volunteer AJK. AM was again the obvious spokesperson for Team 2 and CWT for team 4 did his usual *big entertaining creative* talk and had to be cut short due to time limit, haha. I must say, all three teams did extremely well... each unique and went all out.

The final game was the most exciting though... jelly eating competition. Not dissimilar to the hotdog eating contest. These were those *sumi jeli manis* types of jelly which are notoriously difficult to bukak. Looking at the contestants, I think Team 1 made a miscalculated error by staging AZA as their rep. How can you ask a girl to do a makan competition?? But AZA did her very best and ended up having jelly all over her white blouse. The whole gang cheered on boisteriously macam the scene that you see on TV when fraternity boys drink beer from a booze bong. Havoc I tell you!!

See?!? I told you FSD ppl know how to have fun ;) And I miss that dearly...

Actually, all my working life, I've been surrounded by fun people. Just the other day, we had a belated birthday celebration for NSY. A special cake was ordered in her honour. Had wanted to do a 3D version but the kedai would only accept min size of 4kg and at RM100/kg, that was way too much money and cake. The gang sans ZCD were all there, sekali dengan DBB#3 who got most excited. Siap dengan adegan ramas2... hahahahah. I think DBB#3 and NSY mischevious ways have rubbed off on all of us and I see that inherited by FSD ppl.

I think... no, I know, that it is all these things that make me feel so seronok to be working where I do. Of course, please don't get me wrong... not the entire organisation is like this (BB is definitely NOT like this!). We're all serious ppl (hehe) and you can be assured that the country is in good hands. Cuma, some of us also know how to enjoy ourselves 8-)

No comments: