Monday, January 7, 2008

today 20 years ago...

7 Januari 1998 is a date that changed my life.

It was the day that I was *shipped* off to be on my own, away from family for the first time in my life. At the tender age of 12 year, 11 months and 14 days.

I don't quite remember the exact details of the day. What I can recall is that I woke up very early that morning. During the drive down to Seremban, Mama told me what to do and not do... so did Papa. Both of them went to boarding school and have first hand experience. They told me not to worry. I don't think I was...

We were among the early birds that morning. Went straight to the hall for registration... While waiting for our turn, we sat on kerusi besi warna biru. Papa pointed out the markings on the chair "KTK... katak" he said with a laugh. Little that I know then that katak is a gelaran synonymous with the students of the school. Papa went on to tell the story about how when I started to talk, I couldn't pronounce kakak properly. It started as tatak, then katak and finally baru kakak. After about 1/2 hour wait, I was officially a student of the illustrious Tunku Kurshiah College.

I was then introduced to a senior who is my designated CS - college sister. Every first former gets a fifth former from her house to be her CS, the person who is responsible for her well being and adjustment into boarding school life. My CS is K Musi, short for Musalmah. She's very fair, wears glasses, pakai tudung and is soft spoken.

We then went to Block D, dorm Orkid, rumah Mahsuri - red house. As I stepped into the room, I saw the rows of bunk beds and thought to myself "this is it... no turning back". Gone are the comforts of my king sized bed, the aircond... I'm now living a utilitarian life where the colour of our sheets are predetermined and I have to start washing my own clothes.

I got an upper level bed, near the door. All lower level beds have been booked and my dad convinced me that upper beds are better... more fresh air. Another reason why I chose that particular bed is because I get to have a locker right next to the bed.

Mama and Papa didn't stay long. Both of them had to go to work and they left me in the trusted hands of K Musi. While unpacking and making the bed, K Musi gave me a run through of the daily activities and schedule. It was an overload of information... breakfast at 7am, class until 1.50pm, quiet time until 2.45pm, house games on Tuesdays or Thursdays, dinner at 8pm, followed by prep until 10pm, except on Thursdays when it dinner is at 6.45pm followed by solat jemaah and then prep, lights off at 10.30pm etc etc, house cleaning on Sundays preceeded by house meeting... the do's and don'ts, what to wear, what to do... my mind tried hard to cope. It all seemed second nature to K Musi. And I have not mentioned all the *rules* which are not part of the official routine/student guide... where you are in the hierarchy, how to address a senior, when to start eating at the table... the *regime*. Memanglah pening nak ingat everything.

We went for lunch with another senior and a fellow first former, who is also my dorm mate - Amy. K Musi sent me back to the dorm and said that she'll come by to pick me up for dinner later that evening. It was a Thursday... so ada solat jemaah at the hall. Lucky for me, K Musi is also the assistant house captain. So her room is on the same floor. Easy if I ever need to get her assistance.

There I was... all alone, tak kenal anyone. Amy went to her bed and said that she wanted to kemas her cupboard. What was I going to do? That was when a girl came over and introduced herself "Hello... saya Mynn. Apa nama awak?" And that was the beginning of a life long friendship... I was a shy not-so-little girl, and Mynn helped introduce me to some of the other girls. We started chatting about where we come from, our families... but the thing that broke the ice was when we started to talk about *Police Story*... a chinese drama series on TV3 which airs at 6pm every weekday. Soon we were laughing away, sharing our admiration over Tony Leung, telling each other who is our favourite artist... masa tu Madonna and Whitney tengah top.

If I'm not mistaken, it was also Mynn who gave us nicknames. Lucky for me, I already have a nickname... so I stuck to that. The 3 Idas were renamed to IdaJ, IdaY and IdaK... who was later known more glamourously as Kamm ;)

That night as I tried to lull myself to sleep... I heard some of the girls crying. It must be hard being away from home. Me? I was excited to meet new people, making new friends... in fact, I lupa pun about home, hehe. The only thing that concerned me was whether I'd get up in time the next day...

Going to TKC was a significant event that shaped my life, my future... mould me into the person that I am today.

TKC provided me the privilege to attend school with among the best students in the country, had the necessary infrastructure and faculty to offer the best learning environment. Takut jugak masa first masuk... selalu kat sekolah rendah, I've never tak dapat #1. Now that I'm amongst the bijak pandai, what would my chances be?

It was at TKC that I belajar cakap English and learnt to command the language. It was a part of the culture... speaking English is second nature there. I also learnt French... walaupun sekarang ni berkarat yang amat

Time in TKC was character building. I learnt about independence, discipline, responsibility, time management, people management, conflict management (when you live with so many girls... byk conflicts...), teamwork, always striving for excellence... honed my creativity, develop interest in the performing arts... I'm glad that I had the chance to experience and learn all that in my formative years.

My years at TKC were good. Performed well academically, less so athletically. I was in the brass band, was involved in drama and dance, became headgirl and band president. I have to say that I did not have a difficult time while I was there... in fact they were some of the best years of my life.

Had it not been for all that... I would not have won the scholarship. I would have not gone to Melbourne to further my studies. I would not have met Tamar Lewitt... the teacher who nurtured me to think broad and deep. So many things I owe to my years in TKC and the people around who each have a part in shaping me into the person that I am today.

People say that TKC girls can be easily recognised... either by way of how they carry themselves, how they talk. Being a TKC girl is not always a positive thing... many shun us because they say that we're snobbish. I say that's rubbish!

If one were to ask me what's the most important things that I got out of TKC... I'd say it's the friendships that were built. The camaraderie... nothing else comes close. That's the thing that I cherish most.

So on this momentous day, thank you TKC... for making me the person that I am today and for gifting me with lifelong friends, whom I call family.

No comments: