Thursday, January 17, 2008

one step closer...

A few days back I got an email from TT asking me to call him back regarding two matters. When I got through to him, he told me that matter 1 has been addressed but he needs to ask me about matter 2.

"You know that Dr S was in our committee for the volunteer thing right?" he asked. "Since he has left, we now have a vacancy and I thought of inviting you to join the team. What do you think?"

Geez... that was not something that had crossed my mind. When I first saw his email, I thought that he had wanted to ask whether I'd like to do be involved in any charity work related to the recent floods. Rupa2nya something else...

I asked what Dr S's responsibilities were and expressed my reservations about carrying out those functions. Being the chief mobiliser of volunteers... I kan out of radar and tak kenal ramai orang, how to buat that type of work? TT then explained about the list of names that they've gathered through the survey and how things are going to be worked out etc etc...

In the end I decided *what the heck... let's give it a try, kalau tak bila lagi?* and told TT that I'll do it. In his normal exuberance and high energy manner, TT said "welcome to the team!"

So now I'm officially a committee member for the staff movement involving volunteer work for worthy causes. I've wanted to do something like this for a while now, tapi sampai sekarang, masih hanya angan2 and tak pernah buat apa2 like it. Hajat tu ada tapi tak pernah take any action...

But with this commitment, I'm taking a step closer towards doing something that I've always dreamed of doing... helping those in need and playing a bigger role in society. Cukup dah fikir about diri sendiri... time to tolong orang yang memerlukan.

Tomorrow I'm meeting Jade who is also on the committee and who will be working with me on this area. I hope I'll have the enthusiasm and energy like the rest of the team and that I'll find the satisfaction that I've been wishing for.

Start with this first... building my way towards attaining that dream job :)

No comments: