Saturday, October 25, 2008

inspirationally big!

I've been watching this show on TV... it's called Oprah's Big Give.

It is a reality, competition show. But unlike the other shows on the air, it is not about pitting against each other to be the ultimate victor. It is about how to give back to society and how to encourage others to do the same.

Also unlike other shows, there are no losers in the game. They're all winners because they all did something wonderful for absolute strangers. But of course, there's elimination. Not because they had failed, but because others had done better.

I like this show. I shed many tears watching the episodes.

It's so amazing how these wonderful individuals go all out to help others, to make a difference, to get other people on board... all for the satisfaction of doing something good.

There's no prize... just bragging rights (although after watching the finale, the winner did get a prize, but they didn't know it when they embarked on the adventure).

The kind of things that they were able to do. The kind of support that they were able to garner.

It makes me believe even more that there are many, many good hearted people out there. They just need a push, a request to participate in giving back to society.

I hope that I can do something similar with the volunteer group at work. My goal... if I can just get 80% of the staff to commit 2 weekends a year to do some form of charity work, that would be excellent. If I can get everyone to potong gaji RM10 a month... the collective amount can do so much good.

The more that I get involved in this, the more I realise that there are so many people out there that are needing our assistance.

And one of the things that Big Give taught me was that it isn't the money, sometimes it is the time... but most importantly is the willingness to open your heart and give others the opportunity and for them to be treated equally.

During one of the shows, one contestant, Stephen, who happens to be the eventual winner, spent his night after a long day of doing a charity project (because he said that there's still some time in the day that he can chip in to do some good), went to donate his time at a Kitchen... helping to serve the food, clean up etc. And while washing dishes with another guy, he listened to the guy's story... the things that he had gone through, his regrets, his aspirations, his hopes. That was it. Just listening. And to the guy, it made all the difference in the world because someone was willing to listen and be engaged with an ex convict who had done drugs, a person whom others would just treat as a sampah masyarakat.

The time spent with him gave him a stronger sense of self belief, confidence... something that everyone who has been at the bottom needs to get back up.

It's so unbelievably simple! To make a difference...

I'm not a saint, I'm not perfect, I have a lot of prejudices within me still, I don't give back as much as I should... monetary or time.

But I hope... to do more.

And I hope that I'll get others to join me on this journey too...

No comments: