Sunday, July 27, 2008

i wanted to believe, but...

I'm a big X-Files fan... there, I'm out!
I've always found the stories intriguing (not all though), plots mind challenging, and I just love watching Duchovny and Anderson amazing chemistry on screen.

So when Amt told me that there's a new movie out, I was excited. I didn't have much expectations though, since their first big screen foray didn't go so well. So far, Chris Carter's best work remained on the idiot box. But one can hope...

Dengan eager nya I asked Ina on Thursday, on the way home from work "Ina... nak tengok X-Files tak tonight?" "Boleh" And so I headed for Pavilion.

The plots of the movie was shrouded in secrecy and I couldn't make head or tail from the trailer. I did seem promising. Maybe that's what spoilt it for me... I had wanted to believe... that I would find again the magic that was once the X-Files.

The storyline fell flat... it didn't feel like an X-Files show... more like another investigative show. Nothing extraordinary about the whole thing except for the aspect of psychic (don't worry... I'm not spoiling you... this is something that you'd come to realise 2 minutes into the movie). It was frustrating... given all the hype, I was hoping that Chris Carter would come up with something more than that.

One thing did surprise me though... how he treated a certain relationship. I'm sure Shippers around the world rejoiced while the NoRoMos would be going bonkers. I was extremely surprised that Chris Carter chose to draw the storyline as such, given what he had said in the past. The other thing was that, to me, this felt more like a Scully movie instead of a Mulder movie. Sure... they're both critical characters to the series, but to me, the X-Files has and is always about Mulder.

There were some moments that made it feel *almost* X-Files like... Mulder had the best one liners, and Scully joining in the fun. Listening to Anderson dishing out all those medical terms made me smile... now we have so much of those on House, Grey's Anatomy, CSI... dulu2 it was only on X-Files and I often went searching for more info after the show (the geeky me coming out again). I had to stop myself from laughing out loud when they showed a photo of one of the dumbest American president with J Edgar Hoover... the conspiracy theorists would have a field day with that! ;)

In all, it wasn't a satisfying outing... so I'll have to resort to my stash of old X-Files episodes to satisfy my craving...

No comments: