Friday, July 18, 2008

the dark knight is THE movie to watch!

I'm writing this literally 15 minutes after the credits roll... Me like having a cinema next door. Two thumbs up =)

A lift ride, 2 minutes walk and a pit stop at the loo and I'm now in typing this entry.

What a movie!!




I usually not optimistic about watching a movie after reading reviews which gave glowing remarks... usually I'm underwhelmed. But this time it's different... TDK, despite being a movie adapted from a comic character, is truly a movie that deserves all the accolades.

I don't know where to start... there were just so many good things to talk (or rather write) about!

ok... let's start with the story line. Unlike usual big budget, blow up here and there, money making kaboom type of movies... this one actually HAS a story line, and a decent one too. It doesn't insult the audiences' intelligence, it has its own twists and turns, it poses difficult questions, it challenges common perception about who is really good and who is really bad, it makes us think and ponder... the last bit takes the cake. Because you don't get much of these things watching a superhero movie, and one definitely don't expect those hollywood studio directors give in to the temptation of another big explosion to out do the last big hollywood style bang. Simply put, the 2h30m flew by thanks to an engaging script, witty lines... there was not a moment that I did not have my eyes glued to the screen. And that's saying a lot because I was darn tired coming home from work.

A Batman movie wouldn't be a Batman movie without all the awesome toys and gadgets. They didn't overdo this part, in fact... there was just enough elaboration about what this and that do without getting me into thinking "ok... ok... let's get back to the story pls" mode. In fact, I had even hoped that Lucius would demonstrate more to Bruce or show him more of his latest inventions. My favourite was his uber sleek bike. That's one hot sexy machine! I'm now day-dreaming about riding pillion with my hand tight around the firm delicious body that belongs to Christian Bale. I don't need him to be in a rubber suit ;) And seeing him *fly* with his wings spread wide... it's almost orgasmic [not that I know how that is, hehe]. As I watch him glide through the skies... it was as if I was flying along with him. And the stunts... BRILLIANT! Rarely do you see fluid actions in Hollywood movies that leaves you breathless like a HongKong movie. None of those terbang sana sini formulaic style that Hollywood has become accustomed to, ever since Tarantino introduced kungfu style flying kicks to the west. Maybe they did use the flying harness, but I definitely did not feel like I was watching a poor remake of a JetLi action movie. My favourite... when Batman flew into the Hong Kong sunset [when you watch the movie, you'll know what I mean]. I couldn't help myself but squel in delight while watching the movie. Cool siot!!! And of course... all the car chases, flying trucks, mangled helicopters, explosions... all I can say is WOOHOO!!! I literally screamed that while watching the movie...



But no movie would be great without great actors because without them, the script would just be lines and the action sequences, gadgets would just be peripherals. I was already impressed with Christian Bale in his first outing as Batman... and I'm liking him even more in this one. That guy can definitely act. While most *serious* actors wouldn't want to be caught dead playing a comic character in a tight rubber suit... he made it feel like we were watching a Shakespearean play. Of course it doesn't hurt that he has one hot bod... which the director decided not to show too much for fear of women fantasising endlessly about him, haha. He's not your usual hunk, sex symbol that is adored... he's not as good looking as Brad, or as alluring as George or Sean, nor sexy like Craig. But somehow... he just has that *extra thing* that makes you want to be naughty with him ;) Aaron Eackhart (is that how you spell his name?) was surprisingly delightful to watch, and I am already a fan of Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman. Maggie Gyllenhaal was ok too.
But of course, the man of the hour is non other than Heath Ledger. He played the part of the Joker so brilliantly that although he's the villain, you can't help but to like him. When reviewers say that he was better than Jack Nicholson, they were not kidding. He received an Oscar nomination for his performance in Brokeback Mountain, and he definitely deserves another for his portrayal of the psychotic killer with no rules. I liked him in the first movie that I saw him in... 10 Things I Hate About You... and his final outing was also with a bang.

The cast... sadly short of one...



This is the blockbuster movie of the summer... and definitely one of the best superhero movie that I've ever watched.



No comments: