Sunday, March 23, 2008

Malaysian F1 Grand Prix... done and dusted

For the first time since they started having races here in Malaysia, I not in Sepang for the race.

As the day drew nearer, rasa hati nak pergi tu makin kuat, but not kuat enough. No one wanted to go with me, and somehow, after the drama that surrounded McLaren last year, my enthusiasm has shrivelled... not disappeared, just kurang.

Yesterday as I sat in front of the TV watching qualifying, I couldn't believe myself... I was actually at home instead of in Hillstand C2, my *home* during the Malaysian race weekend these past few years. I've even picked my favourite spot... between 4th and 5th tiang from the right.

And today, the first thing that crossed my mind as I woke up was *I'm not at Sepang*. Usually, the ritual would be waking up early morning, pack up my frozen mineral water, karipap etc (hidden strategically to avoid the *no outside food allowed* police. Complete with my binoculars, earplugs, a book, a hat... I would make my way towards Sepang F1 circuit. Somehow, although I know almost none of the other spectators, I felt at *home*.

Tadi as I got ready to watch the race... plonked myself in front of the TV... images from the hills of C2 appeared and I screamed "that's my hill!" If was I there, I would be amongst the thousands who waved frantically at the helicopter camera.

As the race was about to start... I had to say it out loud... "I'm not attending the race"... for the 50th time kut this week. Rasa gusar tu pun ada, but I felt like I made the right decision.

Also... a departure from my staunch support towards McLaren, this year rasa kureng sikit. Attributable to the departure of Alonso mainly. Good as he may be, Lewis is not someone I admire... I can't explain why. The feeling is similar to how I felt about Schumacher. Tapinya, McLaren is MY team. I've loyally supported them through the good and bad times... when people kutuk us during the low periods of 2003-2004, I stood by them. I've always believed in the team rather than the driver. Our affair has lasted for about 13 years now. Tapinya, with someone I don't particularly like there, it's getting rather difficult to provide my support. Kovailanen lacks the *umph*.

So I found myself rooting for Alonso and Kimi last week and this week... believe it or not. And smiled gleefully upon discovering that the McLaren duo had been served with a 5 place penalty for today's race.

I guess the keadaan tak menentu which team I should support also contributed to my lack of enthusiasm to attend this year's race. Going just a spectator aint's half the fun when you have a fire within you to see someone win.

Now that Jean Todt is also out of the way, perhaps supporting Ferrari isn't that bad. No... I still can't bring myself to supporting the prancing horse. Kimi ok, but not the team.

Which is all against my original believe that I should support a team not a driver... dilemma, dilemma...

Apa2 pun... today the winner was Kimi. And BMW Sauber came 2nd in the form of Kubica. I wasn't overly excited about Heikki's 3rd placing. But I was happy that Lewis didn't manage to overtake Trulli ;) Too bad Alonso was equipped with such a bad car that he only managed to come in 8th...

No comments: