Wednesday, February 20, 2008

k eef...

Facebook rocks!

I've found some long lost friends via facebook but earlier this month was the icing on the cake. It was a senior... my pet sis to be exact. Goodness! The last time I saw her was about 20 years ago... how time flies. When I saw her message in my inbox, I was pleasantly surprised :)

Pet sis = kakak angkat, for the lack of better description. Actually kat TKC there were several *layers* of kakak angkat. I can't remember them all, but they vary in degree of *seriousness*. Now it sounds so silly, but back then, trust me... pergaduhan dan perselisihan faham can be caused when you *don't ask for permission*, jealousy when people *pasang* a few... hahaha, the frivolities. If I'm not mistaken, the top of the heap is toeng, the rest I can't recall the ranking order. But the nama2 include pet sis, buddy, spider (don't ask me why)... These are the mutually arranged relationships, not like the college sister which is determined by the wardens.

Unlike some of my more popular friends who had kakak angkat from day 1, from every form (and mind you, there's even an unwritten rule that you can only have 1 category from each form), I didn't have any... not until the final few months of my first year in TKC. I was (and still am) someone *under the radar*. Why K Eef decided to *start* dengan I pun I don't know. I think I did ask her during our first *date* but I can't recall her answer.

It was a bit of a downer when no one *wants* you I must admit... you know, like you're an outcast or something. That's how I had felt in the beginning. Tapi after a while, having seen the *dramas* revolving those who had one too many *relationships* I was glad that I didn't have all those issue to contend with. Eh... tapi I just recall, I wasn't really *tak laku*, hehe... someone did ask me on day 1 to be my *starter* but being so green and wary of funny things, I said no. Haha... word must have gone around that I *jual mahal* ;)

So when the *invitation* came, through a messenger, it was like a blind set-up. I didn't know who the person was until our so-called *first date*. I was curious about the whole thing and said yes... nasib lah whoever the person was (and luckily for me it wasn't some senior that I dislike, hehe). Plus, I was determined not to go through my first year in college without the opportunity to experience a TKC *culture*. You see, a junior can't initiate, so if when you're in form one and no one *wants* you, tough luck.

Somehow, the whole *start* culture wasn't something that I cared for. I have nothing against it nor do I wish for it. Although I could initiate bila masuk form 2, I didn't use my *licence*. I didn't see the need. Was content with having the friends I have without having to complicate matters. But upon the urgings of my friends, I did *start* with ppl bila masuk form 3. Actually, my friends yang carikan and suggested some names. All I did was go through the *candidates* and chose... Ella, Myra and Raz... one from each batch (Raz was later bila dah masuk form 4). That was it. But since it wasn't something that was of importance to me, I tend to *neglect* my pet sis. Kesian they all ;) Oh... I did have another senior who started with me... K Mynn. We're still in touch now after a long hiatus. Met her again through a mutual friend.

Anyway, back to the whole *relationship* thing... what exactly do we do? Now, now... before you people who didn't go to TKC start getting funny ideas, NO... there were no girl-on-girl action, much to your disappointment (well, not for the 99.9% lah... I've heard stories but have never witnessed or come across any which I can personally verify). We would go on lunch or dinner *dates*, a stroll around the grounds, send notes... the more I think of it now, the funnier it sounds. But I guess teenagers have their hormones and given the lack of the opposite sex, we made do. The male faculty wasn't something that we could ogle at pun... except for one Ustaz who rode a superbike complete with black leather jacket. He was single and quite good looking. Of all things, he had to be an Ustaz lah kan? Hai... kesian we all.

Bila sampai big events eg valentine's day, song dedications sempena charity drive, etc... that's when the starters splurge on their *partners*. Oh boy... some people did splurge. While moi... I just send a note to wish, hehe. So tak boleh harap ;) And usually if your *starter* is a fifth former, you're expected to give a farewell gift. I can't for the life of me recall what I gave K Eef and K Mynn... did I get them anything in the first place? Ntah lah... I do recall getting a gift from K Mynn, I still have it... a jewelry box. Sangat berguna... banyak pahala dia.

I've bumped into Ella several times (I think she's now in CIMB). Raz I got re-acquainted thru facebook recently, but Myra... lost touch. I did bump into her several years back... but I forgot her name and I totally forgot about me being her *starter* until much later. So bad of me. I know some people who became really good friends sampai sekarang. Good for them. But there are also cases whereby dulu *sangat dahsyat* tapi sekarang nadaa.

I guess it's just one of those peculiar things that happens in a boarding school...

3 comments:

Raz Zeera Gee said...

:) i understand if things u mentioned in ur entry ni happened at tkc sebab all girl school kan...tapi dkt co ed school pun jadi jugak...all the gaduh2, jealous2 and all...this entry reminds me of my days jugak :)

X3 said...

Aku lah antara org yg dlm kategori BUKAN goreng pisang panas.

Nampaknye mcm terbawa2 sampai ke hari ini! HAHAHAHAHA

exeter

gg said...

I’d always wondered about you boarding school kids! My brother who attended MCKK told us a little about the goings-ons in kolek but only decades later...loyalty ruled! We at CBN certainly had our fair share of lesbians and pengkiks and although I wasn’t myself privy to them...ehem...but girl-on-girl action certainly did occur according to a participant friend of mine. :-o We had the kakak angkat system too but I never got into it. During Valentine’s we’d receive apples and flowers from the juniors as well as from St John’s across the street...heehee.