Sunday, February 3, 2008

big shoulder pads and even bigger hair...

I have a confession to make... I watched Dynasty. Yup... that soap opera in the 80s, where the plots twists and turns and undergo so much mutilation that it even makes Michael Jackson seem normal.

What inspired this entry? Well... I was flicking through Astro tonight and a tv movie on Hallmark caught my attention. It was a movie about Dynasty... behind-the-scenes. I don't know whether to laugh or cringe... maybe both, haha.

I watched the show religiously although I was barely pubescent then. My parents did not exercise any *badan penapisan*, hehe. I even taped them on the VCR (dulu2 mana ada AstroMax) to watch over the weekend... sanggup simpan duit to beli the video cassettes ;)

Alexis... Krystle... Blake... Sammy Jo... Amanda... the Carringtons. Those are the names I grew up with. Their hairstyles I copied... walaupun my shoulder length bob didn't look as nice as Krystle's blond mane. I dreamt of having a large house complete with grand staircase. Play dress up with an off shoulder dress made of either towels or bedsheets... goodness me!

The quality of the show deteriorated towards the end, but that didn't stop me from watching it... till the end ;) Luckily for me, the show ended as I was about to enter boarding school. I can't imagine how I would have coped if it had continued on and me not having access to tv (kat TKC ada tv... cuma time to watch very limited).

To think of it, I watched quite a lot of TV growing up... masa tu TV3 baru mula and there was so much on offer. Ada Airwolf, Macgyver (I even berangan nak jadi girlfriend Richard Dean Anderson you know), Knight Rider, A Team (who can forget B.A. Baracus and his trojan hair style), Scarecrow & Mrs King, Magnum PI (ooooh... who can forget Tom Selleck and his misai), Love Boat, Hotel (walaupun it airs late at night), LA Law (but tak lah sampai nak jadi lawyer). Whatever is on air, I would watch it. But when I went to TKC, I stopped watching. And my addiction to the idiot box was cured.

Then when I went to Melbourne it started again. Beverly Hills 90210 baru start masa tu (don't pretend you don't watch them)... as did Melrose Place. And so did this revolutionary new show, with two unknown actors, which so unexpectedly capture the hearts of those who have been deprived of shows whose plot revolve around things other than sex, backstabbing and trysts. The show that I'm talking about is non other than The X-Files. By this time, I had gone bored with all these kisah tentang kehidupan orang and craved for something more challenging to the mind. And of course because I'm a big time nerd who loves to read, listen or watch mysteries, and things not normal. I think there's some parallel... I loved Macgyver and how he can create scientific solutions with the simplest things including chewing gum. X-Files makes me wonder whether there is really something out there... Soon it was the era of the sitcoms. I watched most of them... Friends of course, Seinfeld, Frasier... there's so many I can't recall them all.

Somehow I didn't follow ER or NYPD Blue or Ally McBeal or Buffy or Charmed or Lois & Clark. Tengok lah jugak, but not really follow. The only melodrama that I watched rather regularly was Party of Five. Ooooh... how can I forget, The Simpsons! That's my daily staple... I grew up watching Bart Lisa Homer Marge and Lisa but although I grew older, they seemed to have found the fountain of youth.

Kalau nak compare kan, TV shows dulu and sekarang actually nya lebih kurang je. If dulu Dynasty, LA Law... now it's Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy. The equivalent of Macgyver, X-Files are House, CSI... Sex & The City, Ugly Betty are like Ally McBeal... sama je template dia. Cuma tukar setting, background, names.
But one thing for sure... this girl is guilty of such indulgences ;)

1 comment:

X3 said...

Oh i watched this on astro hari tu masa balik. my friend sya minta i cari DVD boxset kat sini, tp takde jual. Oh now i see the similarity, ur rambut masa f1 and linda evans. hahahah. cool man!